- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Marble Hill man accused of beating, kidnapping woman (6/27/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Business notebook: Man's cheesecake whim becomes a full-time vocation (6/26/17)
Veterans Gets Helicopter Ride on her 89th Birthday
Eleanora Brewton, a WWII Navy Veteran who currently resides at the Missouri Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau, has been talking all year about how she wanted to celebrate her 89th birthday. She wanted to ride in a helicopter.
Staff at the Veterans Home contacted Bruce Loy at the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport who put them in contact with Paul Salman, a local helicopter pilot. On Wednesday, September 1st, Salman landed his helicopter in front of the Veterans Home, and Ms. Brewton got the thrill of her lifetime. During their flight, which took them around Cape and over the Mississippi River Bridge, Ms. Brewton pointed out familiar landmarks.
When asked what her next adventure will be, she responded, "When I turn 100 I want to go skydiving."