- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
Veterans Gets Helicopter Ride on her 89th Birthday
Eleanora Brewton, a WWII Navy Veteran who currently resides at the Missouri Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau, has been talking all year about how she wanted to celebrate her 89th birthday. She wanted to ride in a helicopter.
Staff at the Veterans Home contacted Bruce Loy at the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport who put them in contact with Paul Salman, a local helicopter pilot. On Wednesday, September 1st, Salman landed his helicopter in front of the Veterans Home, and Ms. Brewton got the thrill of her lifetime. During their flight, which took them around Cape and over the Mississippi River Bridge, Ms. Brewton pointed out familiar landmarks.
When asked what her next adventure will be, she responded, "When I turn 100 I want to go skydiving."