- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)3
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Sowers welcomes debates
The Tommy Sowers for Congress team is looking forward to the October debates between the four candidates for the 8th District congressional seat. We have accepted four of six offered thus far: Cape Girardeau on Oct. 11, Poplar Bluff on Oct. 13, Rolla on Oct. 17 and Park Hills on Oct. 18.
In addition, VFW Post 5443 in Kennett has invited us to a fifth debate on Oct. 25. We thank the VFW for their gracious invitation and enthusiastically accept. We believe the debate should be centered on veteran and military issues, which are critical to all of us as citizens of a nation at war and residents of a district with over 70,000 veterans. Given other debates' focus on the economy and agriculture, also important issues for this district, we feel a defense-related debate is appropriate.
We've also received an invitation to debate by the administration at Missouri State University in West Plains, and we look forward to working out the logistical details for that event with the other campaigns. We applaud the commitment to furthering the political discourse by these institutions around the district and expect a spirited discussion.
JONATHAN FEIFS, 614 N. Pine St., Suite 202, Rolla, MO 65402
Paid for by Tommy Sowers for Congress, 614 N. Pine St., Suite 202, Rolla, MO 65402