Piedmont man pleads guilty to making bomb threat at factory

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Piedmont, Mo., man pleaded guilty Friday in federal court to calling in a bomb threat at Windsor Foods, the Daily American Republic reported.

Marty Allen Shriver, 27, of the 600 block of Dryden pleaded guilty as charged to one felony count of using a telephone to make a false bomb threat before U.S. District Judge Stephen Limbaugh in Cape Girardeau, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Keith Sorrell.

Limbaugh set sentencing for Nov. 29. At that time, Shriver faces a range of punishment of not more than 10 years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine, followed by not more than a three-year period of supervised release.

Shriver was charged in connection with a telephone call which was made at about 5:45 a.m. Nov. 5 to the Wayne County Sheriff's Department indicating there were bombs at Windsor Foods in Piedmont.

The call, Piedmont Police Chief Richard Sanders said at the time, was from a "male subject, who stated his name was Marty and that he had placed several pipe bombs around Windsor Foods and one inside the building."

After receiving the telephone call, Sanders said, the sheriff's department notified the Piedmont Police Department and Officer Josh Pratt initially responded.

Upon his arrival, Sanders said, Pratt contacted Frank King, manager of Windsor Foods, and they began to evacuate the approximately 100 employees from the building.

"After the evacuation, a search was conducted of the outside perimeter and the inside of the building with negative results," Sanders said. "Then, after looking at the surveillance footage (it was determined) everyone that came in was supposed to be there."

Officers, Sanders said, determined the call originated from a pay telephone at a local convenience store in Piedmont.

"Then, putting some things together, we ended up detaining a male subject by the name of Marty Shriver," Sanders said. "Contact was made with him and he came to the Piedmont PD at about 9 o'clock that morning."

Further investigation revealed Shriver had "left his home at about 3 a.m. and returned (there) after 6 a.m.," Sanders said.

Shriver, who was told of his rights, gave a statement to officers.

In that statement, Shriver admitted he "made a bomb threat out of frustration and anger," Lt. Cory Thompson said in his probable cause affidavit.

Sanders said Shriver was angry because Windsor Foods would not rehire him.

Map of pertinent addresses

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: