- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
The copper-clad dome on Academic Hall on the campus of Southeast Missouri State University is one of the most iconic symbols in Cape Girardeau. Visible from many parts of town, the dome symbolizes the university's role not only as an institution of higher learning, but also its community standing as a major employer and economic force.
So it is with regret and disgust that we see a swath of canvas covering a portion of the dome facing south. Underneath is graffiti, painted on by a vandal whose spree of a few minutes will require countless hours and untold resources to remove.
In an effort to get more leads, the Southeast Missourian is offering a $1,000 reward for information resulting in the arrest and conviction of the culprit. The reward is being made available through CrimeStoppers of Southeast Missouri (332-0500).
For several weeks now there has been a web of scaffolding on the north side of Academic Hall and around the large dome as workers progress on repairs to storm damage. Just as university officials -- and the community -- were looking forward to completion of this work, along came someone whose lark now means additional expense.
If you have any information, call 332-0500.