- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
Empowerment Zone Celebrates 11 Years of Success
The Southernmost Illinois Delta Empowerment Zone (SIDEZ) is hosting an 11 Year Celebration at Shawnee Community College on September 16, 2010. The festivities will begin at 5:30 PM in the Atrium with displays featuring projects completed by organizations as a result of the empowerment zone. Light refreshments will be served.
A program will be held in the Education Center at 6:15 PM. USDA Rural Development Illinois State Director Colleen Callahan will be the keynote speaker. A multi-media retrospective of the empowerment zone will be shown. The celebration will end with a no-host social hour and dinner at Wineaux's Restaurant in Belknap. SMART will provide bus transportation to Wineaux's and back to Shawnee Community College for a small fee.
SIDEZ President Ernie Henshaw, speaking on behalf of the SIDEZ Board of Directors, stated, "We would like to invite all past board members, staff, USDA personnel, agency partners, businesses, community groups and the general public to come and celebrate with us. The empowerment zone initiative was a collaborative effort and there is much success to celebrate." The Southernmost Illinois Delta Empowerment Zone received its federal designation in December 1998. The designation expired December 31, 2009. If you plan to attend the Celebration, please call SIDEZ at 866-407-1450 or e-mail SIDEZ at email@example.com to assist staff with planning.