- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
Sowers knows education needs
As an educator for 38 years, I am concerned about educational quality in the 8th District. One-third of the schools identified as failing to meet accreditation standards are in this district. Qualified, hard-working teachers serve our schools, but they are inadequately supported.
When No Child Left Behind was passed we hoped that it would improve education for all children by setting high standards and measurable goals. Regrettably, however, adequate funding to ensure that children were not left behind was not forthcoming.
Although Congresswoman Emerson voted to establish NCLB, the bill was never fully funded. As teachers struggled to meet requirements, Emerson repeatedly voted to cut funding. The inadequately funded requirement frustrates teachers and leads to a system that fails our children.
We need a representative who has lived here and understands the district. As an educator himself, Tommy Sowers understands the need to build up our educational system.
KATHLEEN CONWAY, Professor Emeritus, College of Education, Southeast Missouri State University, 2812 Oakshire Circle, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701