- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Standing up for our teachers
It saddens my heart to read the comments about our schoolteachers. I am a parent volunteer who spends a lot of time at Alma Schrader Elementary School daily, I have spent time in all Cape Girardeau public schools as a ESL volunteer.
As for the teachers' dress code, I have not seen one inappropriately dressed. Footwear needs to be comfortable. Teachers are on their feet most of the day.
And as for their pay, you have no idea the time and their own dollars that they spend on their rooms. Some days they are there from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Most of them take grading and work home daily. So their hourly pay is way below minimum wage. The age we live in -- with its general lack of parental control and teaching their children respect -- honesty, caring of others and general good behavior are lacking in many of their lives. So some days the teacher and school personnel must spend entire days managing behavior issues. In my days of school, if I got in trouble at school I was in triple trouble at home.
I think sometimes our teachers and school personnel are mistreated and disrespected by some. There is no monetary value that can be put on them in my child's life. They teach a lifelong foundation of learning and knowledge.
If you lack understanding you can spend a day with me at school. Please join PTA and be involved, Volunteer in children's and grandchildren's lives and schools.
ROBIN McCOLLOUGH, Cape Girardeau