- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
Standing up for our teachers
It saddens my heart to read the comments about our schoolteachers. I am a parent volunteer who spends a lot of time at Alma Schrader Elementary School daily, I have spent time in all Cape Girardeau public schools as a ESL volunteer.
As for the teachers' dress code, I have not seen one inappropriately dressed. Footwear needs to be comfortable. Teachers are on their feet most of the day.
And as for their pay, you have no idea the time and their own dollars that they spend on their rooms. Some days they are there from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Most of them take grading and work home daily. So their hourly pay is way below minimum wage. The age we live in -- with its general lack of parental control and teaching their children respect -- honesty, caring of others and general good behavior are lacking in many of their lives. So some days the teacher and school personnel must spend entire days managing behavior issues. In my days of school, if I got in trouble at school I was in triple trouble at home.
I think sometimes our teachers and school personnel are mistreated and disrespected by some. There is no monetary value that can be put on them in my child's life. They teach a lifelong foundation of learning and knowledge.
If you lack understanding you can spend a day with me at school. Please join PTA and be involved, Volunteer in children's and grandchildren's lives and schools.
ROBIN McCOLLOUGH, Cape Girardeau