- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)41
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Southeast president to get his U.S. citizenship July 4 (06/30/16)34
- Cape murderer still will serve 2 life sentences; appeals court forced reduced charge (06/30/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
Standing up for our teachers
It saddens my heart to read the comments about our schoolteachers. I am a parent volunteer who spends a lot of time at Alma Schrader Elementary School daily, I have spent time in all Cape Girardeau public schools as a ESL volunteer.
As for the teachers' dress code, I have not seen one inappropriately dressed. Footwear needs to be comfortable. Teachers are on their feet most of the day.
And as for their pay, you have no idea the time and their own dollars that they spend on their rooms. Some days they are there from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Most of them take grading and work home daily. So their hourly pay is way below minimum wage. The age we live in -- with its general lack of parental control and teaching their children respect -- honesty, caring of others and general good behavior are lacking in many of their lives. So some days the teacher and school personnel must spend entire days managing behavior issues. In my days of school, if I got in trouble at school I was in triple trouble at home.
I think sometimes our teachers and school personnel are mistreated and disrespected by some. There is no monetary value that can be put on them in my child's life. They teach a lifelong foundation of learning and knowledge.
If you lack understanding you can spend a day with me at school. Please join PTA and be involved, Volunteer in children's and grandchildren's lives and schools.
ROBIN McCOLLOUGH, Cape Girardeau