- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
We need new blood in Congress
Over the last few years, the start of school meant preparing to teach at West Point. I taught the Constitution, which I swore to support and defend in my 11 years in the U.S. Army. My cadets knew I was a tough grader.
I'd give congressional incumbents an F in defending the Constitution. Our Founders feared a king, so they made Congress strong to keep the power with the people. Both Republicans and Democrats in Congress have given the president too much power. Not one line of the Constitution talks about party checking party. For we face not a party problem, but a problem of congressional incumbents too focused on re-election. If elected, I'll restore the power the Constitution grants to Congress and check the president.
Our Founders feared the influence of money and power in Congress. They didn't want the British House of Lords, where seats were held permanently and passed between family members. They wanted true citizen legislators and government of, by and for the people, not career politicians like Jo Ann Emerson and government of, by and for the lobby.
Today's Congress is the oldest and longest-serving Congress in the history of the republic. It is past time for term limits, but before those can be enacted, let's give Congress an F and elect new blood to restore our Constitution.
TOMMY SOWERS, 614 N. Pine St., Suite 202, Rolla, MO 65401