- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)22
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
8th District has a choice: Sowers
Leadership in Congress on the Afghanistan war: We face immense challenges in Afghanistan. We've been there for nine years, making it our nation's longest war. It has cost taxpayers $325 billion and, more importantly, the lives of 1,215 brave troops.
And yet Congress remains an echo chamber of career politicians who care about nothing more than pleasing the special interests that fund their re-election. Our own congresswoman, Jo Ann Emerson, receives 50 percent of her money from PACs. It's no wonder she and other Congress members have failed to offer real leadership on war issues. They're too busy pleasing the lobbyists.
This November, the 8th District has a choice. Re-elect Emerson, who voted for her own pay raise then turned around and voted against a troop pay raise, or vote for Tommy Sowers, a former Green Beret with the backbone and experience to lead on the war and who takes less than 1 percent of his money from PACs.
BILL HARSHAW, 205 Albert Lane, Cape Girardeau, MO. 63701