- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Deborah J. "Debbie" Shank, 55, of Jackson passed away Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2010, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born May 6, 1955, at Scott Air Force Base, Ill., to Paul B. and Sophia Heider Vaughn. She and James "Jim" Shank were married Oct. 4, 1975, in Belleville, Ill.
While she and Jim raised their three sons, Debbie worked part-time so she could be home with her family. Over the years she did baby-sitting in their home and worked for Jackson School District, Translectric Inc., Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, the former Schaper's IGA and Walmart. When time permitted, she enjoyed doing crafts, especially needlepoint.
Debbie's independence was snatched from her in 2000, when she was injured in a collision with a tractor-trailer. The accident led to her move to Monticello House in 2003. Tragedy struck the Shank family again in 2006, when their son, Cpl. Jeremy R. Shank was, killed in the line of duty in Iraq.
Debbie is survived by her loving family, Jim of Jackson, Christopher "Chris" and fiancee Dana Formon of Piscataway, N.J., Airman 1st Class Nathan "Nate" of Dover AFB, in Dover, Del.; a brother, Ronald Vaughn of San Diego; four sisters, Kay (Joe) Carroll of Cape Girardeau, Karen (Tom) O'Carroll of Chandler, Ariz., Rosalee (Robert) Schultz of Lee's Summit, Mo., Mary Vaughn-Luhman of Gaithersburg, Md.; mother-in-law, Evelyn Shank; and sister-in-law, Judi Shank, both of Belleville.
In addition to her son, Jeremy, she was preceded in death by her parents; a sister, Sharon Vaughn; and father-in-law, James Shank Jr.
Jim, Chris and Nate are most grateful for the support of their many friends over the past 10 years, and should friends be compelled to give memorials, Jim appreciates contributions to Chris and Nathan.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at McCombs Funeral Home and Cremation Center in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Mark Anderson officiating. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery.
Online condolences may be sent to the family by visiting www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.