- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Steven Doyle McLain, 60, of Brea, Calif., passed away suddenly of a heart attack at his home Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2010.
He was born Nov. 29, 1949, in Cape Girardeau, son of Richard and Dora Farrow McLain.
The family moved from Jackson to Elko, Nev., when Steve was 6 years old, and in 1967 he graduated from Elko High School. He received a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering in 1971 from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Soon after graduation he was inducted into the U.S. Army. He was honorably discharged as a captain in March 1981.
Steve also worked hard on his graduate degrees, earning a master's in business administration from Golden Gate University in San Francisco, a master of science in management information science from California State University, Sacramento, and a master of science in mechanical engineering from the University of Arizona in Tucson.
He was employed many years by the former Hughes Aircraft, which later became Raytheon. He was employed by Aerospace Corp. at the time of his death.
Steve met his former wife, Cynthia Velasco, at the University of Arizona. They married June 23, 1984, and were married 10 years. He adopted Cynthia's son, Edward, who was 7 years old when they married. They had two other children together, Bryan (24) and Michelle (20). He loved his children very much, giving them much support for their dreams and endeavors.
Loving survivors include his children, Edward (Veronica) McLain of Downey, Calif., Bryan (Jordan) McLain of Medina, Ohio, Michelle McLain of Santa Barbara, Calif.; his mother of Jackson; and his former wife of Downey.
He was preceded in death by his father July 12, 2010.
Friends may call from 10 a.m. to time of service Thursday at the chapel of McCombs Funeral Home and Cremation Center in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Luther Rhodes officiating. Interment will be in Russell Heights Cemetery in Jackson, with military honors provided.
Sympathy messages may be sent to the McLain children at: McLain Family, 12240 Glynn Ave., Downey, CA 90242, or www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.
Donations may be made to the American Heart Association or the American Diabetes Association in memory of Steven.