- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Speak Out 8/18/10
What we deserve
I want to thank Gary Rust for his article about all the taxes we're going to face come Jan. 1. This is something many people expected and something that was tied up mainly in the 3,000-plus pages of the Obamacare bill. It's something we deserve, although it isn't good for us because we acted so selfishly in electing President Obama. He hadn't been in Congress long enough to have any experience. But people got gaga over him and elected him. So we deserve it, good or bad.
Pay off debts
OUR federal government keeps spending money that it does not have. Now we're reading about new stimulus packages for schools throughout all 50 states. That's a nice thing to do, but the government doesn't have the money. It's going to print more and inflate the economy in order to pay for it. When you're overdrawn on your credit card, you quit charging money and try to work the balance down. That's what our federal government needs to do. It needs to quit spending money that it doesn't have and try to slowly pay off the debt.
WANT to see something pretty? Drive down Caruthers Avenue in front of the junior high school and you certainly will. In spite of the hot, dry weather the flowers are gorgeous. Thanks to the students in the Beta Club at the junior high who sold beads last year and raised $141, some of which went toward flowers and a tree. It greatly improves the school's look. Before you put down today's youngsters, remember these students. They are super.
GARY Rust's column titled "Big tax changes in the works" should be read by every American. We are in for a rude awakening next year. Also, the other part of the article titled "What has America become?" makes you wonder how this all happened in America. God help America.
THANK you, Cape Splash, for senior day. It was a blast. Everyone I talked to had a great time. The water park is certainly an asset.
MY heart goes out to the 5-year-old boy who was attacked by two pit bulls. When are people going to open their eyes? We need to get tough with the owners of these dogs. But money won't heal what this little boy has suffered.