- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Convicted arsonist sentenced to prison for probation violation
A Cape Girardeau man convicted of arson last year will spend time behind bars after violating probation terms.
Demarquis M. Gill, who set fire to a carport and home at 1863 Big Bend Road in September, was sentenced by Circuit Court Judge William L. Syler to nine years in jail after being found in violation of probation.
Syler determined Gill violated probation after he was charged with patronizing prostitution earlier this year. On Aug. 4, a jury found him guilty of the misdemeanor, and Gill was sentenced to 60 days in jail on that charge.
The misdemeanor sentence will run concurrently with Gill's nine-year sentence, according to assistant prosecuting attorney Jack Koester.
Gill, 26, began serving his sentence Aug. 11.
1863 Big Bend Road, Cape Girardeau, MO