- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape Girardeau City Council action
401 Independence St.
* Held a public hearing regarding the rezoning request of Michael Annis, Dale LaFont and Alicia LaFont to rezone the property at 402 Chesley Drive from R-1, single-family suburban residential district, to R-3, high-density residential district.
* Held a public hearing authorizing the mayor to seek funding through the Community Development Block Grant program for $750,000 Action Fund Loan for economic development downtown.
* Approved an ordinance accepting a grant from the Missouri Department of Transportation for the Safe Routes to School program and authorizing the city manager to execute all necessary grant documents.
* Approved an ordinance approving a settlement agreement and binding unilateral agreement with T-Mobile regarding payment of business license taxes.
* Approved an ordinance approving a settlement agreement and binding unilateral agreement with Cricket Communications Inc. and related entities regarding payment of business license taxes.
* Approved an ordinance approving the record plat of Deevers Cove Subdivision.
* Approved a resolution of stating intent to seek funding through the Community Development Block Grant program and authorizing the mayor to pursue activities in an attempt to secure funding.
* Approved a motion accepting the improvements completed and authorizing final payment to Jokerst Inc. under the early award site package for the new Family Aquatic Center and renovations to the Osage Community Centre.
* Approved a motion accepting the sanitary sewer and water main extension improvements for the Resubdivsion of Lots 93 to102 of Walden Park Phase 2 -- Amended.
* Approved a 5 percent liquor by-the-drink licenses for Fred L. Higdon, d/b/a SEMO District Fair Association, for an event to be held Sept. 9 to 18 in Arena Park.
* Approved new 5 percent liquor by-the-drink liquor license for River City Desserts LLC, d/b/a My Daddy's Cheesecake, at 265 S. Broadview St.
Items removed from consent agenda
* Approved an ordinance establishing a new chapter 25 regarding development regulations, including general provisions, off-street parking and exterior lighting. Second and third readings.
* Approved an ordinance providing for the levying of the annual city revenue tax; public health tax; and special business district No. 2 tax for the fiscal year ending on the June 30, 2011. Second and third readings.
* Approved an ordinance approving the record plat of resubdivision of Lots 93 to 102 of Walden Park Phase 2 -- Amended. First reading.
* Denied an ordinance amending Chapter 30 of the city code by changing the zoning of 402 Chesley Drive from R-1, single family suburban residential district, to R-3, high density residential district. First reading.
* Postponed first reading of an ordinance repealing sections of chapter 30, and repealing and enacting new sections of chapter 25 regarding billboards, signs, fences, retaining walls, landscaping and buffer yards.