- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)23
- A shot at a Harley: Man's basketball feat at Southeast game wins new motorcycle (2/27/17)
- Two men crack market with local cage-free eggs (2/26/17)13
- Singer Neal Boyd says he faces physical therapy after Jan. 22 traffic accident (2/27/17)
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
8th District debates
EDITOR'S NOTE: This story has been changed to include the correct number of proposed debates.
Plans are under way for debates among candidates vying for the U.S. House of Representatives seat in Missouri's 8th District, a geographically huge area spreading across 28 counties that cover much of southern Missouri.
U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, a Republican, has represented the district since 1996 and is seeking another term. She is being challenged by Democrat Tommy Sowers of Rolla, Libertarian Rick Vandeven of Chaffee and Larry Bill of Jackson. All four candidates are expected to participate in the first debate planned for Oct. 11 at Southeast Missouri State University's River Campus.
In an age when political ads on TV seldom address the issues, and when new media such as bloggers and Facebook posters produce so much unverified information, face-to-face debates offer voters some sense of how candidates think and how well they understand the key concerns of 8th District residents.
Emerson has proposed three debates all within a one-week period in October. Sowers wants the debates spread out, plus three more debate as well. Turning the debate schedule into a campaign issue won't do voters any good. The sooner the two leading candidates agree on the debate dates and locations the better.