- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Will money decide the race?
Will money spent be the final determinant of who represents us in the 8th District?
Tuesday's primary showed how vulnerable 14-year incumbent Jo Ann Emerson could be in the general election. According to the Federal Election Commission, through June 30 she had spent $724,785 on her campaign. Opponent Bob Parker spent $29,688 and lots of personal energy. Among constituents of her own party, Jo Ann could only get 65.6 percent of the votes, while Bob Parker got 34.4 percent.
Now she is faced with a well-funded Democratic challenger (on June 30 he had raised $1,026,288) who has also worked very hard in the district for nearly a year.
We continue our modest independent conservative campaign as we await the secretary of state's audit of our signatures on Aug. 20. We have turned away financial campaign contributions from any source but my wife. Prayers, personal encouragement and volunteers are always welcome.
LARRY BILL, 2543 Prairie View Trail, Jackson, MO 63755
Paid for by Committee to Elect Lawrence David Bill for Congress, Daniel Ray Brown, Treasurer, 2543 Prairie View Trail, Jackson, MO 63755