- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Special Olympics athlete enjoys making friends, being part of a team
Editor's note: This is the second in a series of profiles of local athletes who will participate along with about 700 others in the Special Olympics State Outdoor Championships to be held Friday through Sunday in Cape Girardeau.
Name: Dary McIntyre
Hometown: Cape Girardeau
Years in Special Olympics: Two
Current team and position: Shortstop, second base and outfield for the Southeast Cyclones.
Sports played: Softball, basketball, track and bowling.
Question: What's your favorite sport?
Answer: I love to run track.
Q: What do you do to train for the Special Olympics games?
A: I go to practice once a week. At home I do push-ups, sit ups and leg exercises when I am doing track.
Q: What's the best thing that's happened to you as a result of Special Olympics?
A: I got to go to Greece earlier this summer for a [Special Olympics] World Games test event. ... I ran the 100 and 200 meter races.
Q: What's your favorite thing about being in Special Olympics?
A: I get to meet friends. My first year I made more than one friend. I love being on a team. It doesn't feel right if I am myself and I don't run with anybody else. We all get along pretty good.
Q: What do you like to do when you're not training or competing in Special Olympics?
A: Riding my bike and hanging out with my grandparents [Howard and Gwyndle McGee] and my dogs.
For more information on the Special Olympics State Outdoor Championships, visit www.somo.org/outdoor.