- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)32
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Apartment fire under investigation
A fire at a Cape Girardeau apartment building Saturday morning is still under investigation.
At 12:58 a.m., Cape Girardeau firefighters responded to a report of a fire in an apartment at 807 N. Sprigg St. and found heavy smoke coming out of Apt. 3 in the three-story building, according to battalion chief Steve Niswonger.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the room where it started within a few minutes, he said. The rest of the apartment had moderate damage from smoke and heat. The damage to the building and its contents is estimated at $10,000.