- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Ruth M. Burchyett, 90, of Cape Girardeau died Tuesday, July 27, 2010, at Southeast Missouri Hospital.
She was born Feb. 9, 1920, in Cape Girardeau County, to Roy Wilson and Laura Koeppel McLain. She and her former husband, Lester Burchyett, were married at Old Iona Baptist Church in Oriole. He preceded her in death in 2008.
Burchyett worked for Eli Walker at Illmo. At age 21 she married and had twins. "Baby" Burchyett died at birth. She later worked for Superior Electric 27 years, beginning in 1955. She retired from Superior Electric but then worked as a sub at Franklin Elementary and Central Junior High schools.
She passed her driver's license test at age 90 and was given a permanent license. Ruth was a member of First Baptist Church since 1954.
Survivors include a daughter, Betty Griffith of Cape Girardeau; five brothers, Roy E. (Jewell) McLain and Fred (Dolly) McLain of Jackson, James McLain of Woodriver, Ill., John (Toni) McLain of Cape Girardeau, Jesse (Donna) McLain of Jackson; four sisters, Myrtle Hampton of Cape Girardeau, Betty Melvin of Jackson, Norma (Henry) Shipp of Cape Girardeau, and Erma (Joe) McDowell of Jackson.
Also two sisters-in-law, Dorothy McLain of Cape Girardeau, Dora McLain of Jackson; a grandchild, Charles Anthony Griffith of Oak Ridge; two great-grandchildren, Hunter Lee Griffith and Dalton Lee Griffith; three great-stepgrandchildren, W.C. Austin, Georgia Faye Austin and Patricia Austin.
She was preceded in death by her parents; ex-husband, Lester Burchyett; a twin daughter; two brothers, Glenn "Cotton" McLain and Richard L. McLain.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Ford and Sons Mt. Auburn Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Revs. Jackie Bowen and Mike Shupert officiating. Burial will be in Cape County Memorial Park.
Memorial contributions may be given to First Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau.
Online condolences may be made at www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com.