- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Fire destroys historic hotel in Cairo
CAIRO, Ill. -- A historic hotel in downtown Cairo was destroyed by a fire that broke out around midnight Tuesday.
The Cairo Fire Department, with five other Alexander County departments, fought the blaze at Hotel Roslyn on Washington Street until around 5 a.m. Wednesday.
"Originally there was light smoke showing, and then it just escalated from there," a Cairo firefighter said Wednesday. "The building is a total loss."
Hotel Roslyn, just nine blocks from the Cairo fire station, dates back to the 1940s and was owned and operated at one time by Roslyn Waite, who died in 1995.
The state fire marshal arrived on scene early Wednesday morning and had left already by 1 p.m.
A captain at the fire station said the fire marshal didn't determine a cause of the fire.