- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Jackson tops Iowa at Babe Ruth Regional
Brandon Bennett belted a three-run home run in the first inning and the Jackson Senior Babe Ruth team defeated the Iowa state champions 6-2 on Friday in the first round of the Senior Babe Ruth Midwest Plains Regional in Wellington, Kan.
Jackson, the Missouri champion, advanced to play the Colorado state champion Saturday night. Jackson led 2-0 after one inning when play was suspended due to rain. The game will resume today.
Against Iowa, Alex Beussink recorded the win on the mound for Jackson. He allowed nine hits, struck out three and walked one in pitching the full seven innings.
B.I. Howard and Matt Stueve each had two hits as Jackson had nine hits overall. Trent Steffens and Clay Roth each added a double.
Steffens opened the first inning with his double and Spencer Sander followed with a bunt single. Bennett then gave Jackson the lead for good with his home run.
Jackson added two runs in the third and one in the sixth. Iowa scored single runs in the second and seventh innings.
-- From staff reports