- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)5
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Speak Out 7/23/10
INSURANCE companies are legally allowed to discriminate against individuals based on genetic conditions. They can deny coverage to an individual based on a condition of birth. This happened to me after I was laid off. Fortunately, Missouri has wonderful high-risk pool insurance, for which I qualified. It's a bit pricey, but I was thrilled to find that my state provided me something I could purchase. I have worked many 80-hour weeks in my life. It wasn't lack of hard work or money that prompted insurance companies to deny me coverage.
WE have a disabled child, and we don't want to burden the government with putting this child on disability, which would be easy enough to do. We want to take care of it ourselves financially. The problem is we're falling between the cracks. For some reason, our insurance company is delaying coverage. Before, we always had insurance through the company my husband worked for all his life. Don't throw out rhetoric such as "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps." Obamacare is in place because we did not trust George Bush to handle the health care issue. Shame on politicians who are trying to draw attention to themselves by attacking the president, who's moving the country forward.
Across the river
I'LL probably never use a casino if it comes to Cape Girardeau. But if we don't get it, there's going to be one across the river. If a certain nightclub owner were still alive in Southern Illinois, we would already have one. Whatever you want, you're going to get one, but it may be in Illinois.
No sign of racism
PEOPLE are saying they don't like the tea party without knowing anything about it. The tea party is for smaller government. I've never seen any racism in the tea party.