- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
T.J. Maxx to open Cape Girardeau store
At a time when the economy is keeping many businesses from expanding, T.J. Maxx will be adding a new Cape Girardeau store to its discount retail chain.
After months of speculation by shoppers and by people online, T.J. Maxx spokeswoman Thea Houghton has confirmed that her company recently signed a lease for a store that will open here this fall.
T.J. Maxx will move into the former Goody's Family Clothing at 308 Siemers Drive, which has been vacant for the past 14 months, said Mark Kohl, manager of real estate and development with Drury Land Development.
Goody's occupied 28,000 square feet in the shopping center owned by Drury Land Development.
"T.J. Maxx was very high on our list and is a company that we've had contact with in the past," said Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce executive director John Mehner. "They are an in-demand retailer that we didn't have here. This addition solidifies our retail draw from a regional standpoint."
The location for the new T.J. Maxx store will also help bring additional traffic other retailers in that shopping center, Mehner said.
Mehner also commended Drury Land Development for "getting this deal done."
"Lots of times we provide information to businesses interested in coming here, but we don't control the price, land or the buildings," Mehner said.
T.J. Maxx has more than 800 stores nationwide and is known for offering name-brand clothing, accessories and home decor at discount prices.
The company also is advertising online at CareerBuilder.com for a manager for its new Cape Girardeau store.
Houghton declined to give an opening date for the new store or release any additional details at this time.
308 Siemers Drive, Cape Girardeau, MO