- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Cape Girardeau man pleads guilty to child pornography charge
A Cape Girardeau man charged Feb. 5 with possession of child pornography for downloading inappropriate video of a girl younger than 15 pleaded guilty last week before Circuit Court Judge Benjamin F. Lewis.
Shane R. Steck, 31, pleaded not guilty to the charges in April. Steck, formerly employed at Creative Edge in Jackson, downloaded a 20-minute video of an underage girl posing nude on a company-issued laptop.
A second video that was downloaded had a broken link and didn't appear to have been viewed, according to a probable-cause affidavit filed in the case.
Investigators confirmed the girl in the video was underage based on a medical opinion from Dr. Heather Dodson, a pediatrician at Cape Physician Associates. Based on the girl's body development, Dodson told investigators she looked to be between the ages of 12 and 15.
Lewis ordered a sentencing assessment report be completed and set Steck's next court date for Aug. 9. He will be sentenced at that time.
Cape Girardeau County assistant prosecuting attorney Julie Meiners said that, per a plea agreement, the state will recommend a suspended imposition of a prison sentence and five years' supervised probation.