- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)3
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
CHAFFEE, Mo. -- Don Walter Eaker, age 73, of Chaffee passed away Friday, July 16, 2010, at Wappapello, Mo. He was born Feb. 21, 1937, to George W. and Lora Lee Borneman Eaker. He married Judith Robinson, and she survives.
Don was a member of the First Baptist Church in Chaffee, where he was active in various committees and was an avid greeter on Sunday. He served on the Chaffee Housing Authority the Chaffee Library board and took care of the lights at all the parks in Chaffee. He also helped the Chaffee Historical Society. Don was awarded the 2006 Citizen of the Year award in Chaffee. He was the first to volunteer for anything to do with Chaffee. He also belonged to the Bike Club of Pharr, Texas, and was well known to give a helping hand to his neighbors in the Winter Haven Park in Pharr.
Don did so much for so many and he will be deeply missed by family and friends.
He started as a lineman for Southwestern Bell and retired after working more than 30 years as a lineman/dispatcher for AmerenUE.
Survivors include his mother, Lora Lee Eaker of Cape Girardeau; his wife, Judith Eaker of Chaffee; two sons, Todd Eaker and Lance Eaker, both of Cape Girardeau; a daughter, Lisa (John) Plaskie of Jackson; two granddaughters, Taylor and Paige Seabaugh of Jackson; a brother, George W. Eaker Jr. of Cape Girardeau; and a sister, Carol Kranawetter of Cape Girardeau. His father preceded him in death.
Friends may call after 4 p.m. Monday at the First Baptist Church in Chaffee.
Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the church, with the Revs. Matt Butrum and Ralph Duffner officiating.
Entombment will be at Memorial Park Cemetery in Cape Girardeau.
Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Chaffee will be in charge of arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations to the First Baptist Church in Chaffee.