- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- Plaintiffs' attorney wants jury to see basement steps at Cape courthouse (1/10/18)
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- Cape man wins Scratchers lottery top prize (1/12/18)
Maybe you've noticed the small school buses parked at Schnucks and Kmart in Cape Girardeau or Country Mart in Jackson. School is out for the summer, but those buses represent a head start on getting ready for the next school year. Donations of items like folders, pencils and backpacks are being collected.
The United Way of Southeast Missouri is heading up this drive for school supplies. Organizers hope to fill 1,200 backpacks for children from needy families by the time schools open in August.
In addition to the school-bus collection points, school items also will be collected at work places.
Cash donations, of course, will help the United Way meet its goal. A $10 donation will provide one backpack full of supplies. Contact the United Way at 334-9634 to get more information about the school supplies or to make a donation.
Donations will help the Salvation Army's annual back-to-school drive and the Scott City and Jackson school districts.
Without this effort, far too many students would show up for classes without items they need for classroom instruction. Thanks to this effort, students in need will get the assistance they need to start the school year fully prepared to learn.