- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Fire damages Cape apartment
A basement apartment in a house at 721 N. Middle St. in Cape Girardeau sustained moderate fire damage early Friday morning.
Units from the Cape Girardeau Fire Department were called to the structure at 2:46 a.m. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke showing at the rear of the residence. A search confirmed that no one was inside at the time, and firefighters extinguished the blaze.
Moderate fire and heat damage was confined to a bedroom and a bathroom in the basement apartment, while there was smoke damage throughout. Light smoke damage was also sustained on the first floor.
Damages were estimated at between $10,000 and $12,000.
The fire is under investigation.