- Teen shot outside apartment off Lorimier Street (05/20/16)41
- Clay Waller faces federal charge of interstate domestic violence in wife Jacque's murder (05/23/16)1
- Charleston man accused of fatally shooting Cape teen (05/22/16)27
- New restaurant, music venue to open in former Bel-Air building (05/23/16)4
- Instagram threat compels Perryville school district to hike security; 15-year-old detained (05/25/16)
- Body found Thursday at Ranney Park in Cape (05/20/16)12
- Body found near park identified as Cape resident (05/22/16)5
- Bollinger County deputies bust man on meth-for-sex sting (05/20/16)2
- Local business faces $42,000 in OSHA fines (05/25/16)2
- Mentally ill man's bout of violence leaves him with no place to go (05/23/16)8
The very worst of politics
As a veteran, I spent time over Memorial Day weekend alongside Tommy Sowers as he walked the 100-Mile Yard Sale listening to voters. At the same time that I was walking with Tommy in honor of our fallen heroes, Jo Ann Emerson had just voted against a pay increase for our troops, and her campaign was smearing Tommy's military record with false claims.
This same tactic was used last week when someone close to her campaign submitted a letter falsely attacking Tommy. Apparently, Jo Ann Emerson is now outsourcing the placement of bogus attacks about her opponent on to her supporters.
The trend of tactics being employed by the Emerson campaign is an attempt to distract voters from the issues and do not represent the values of Missouri's 8th District. Rather, they represent the very worst of politics and are precisely why the anti-incumbent sentiment is so strong this year.
BILL HARSHAW, 205 Albert Lane, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701