- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
The very worst of politics
As a veteran, I spent time over Memorial Day weekend alongside Tommy Sowers as he walked the 100-Mile Yard Sale listening to voters. At the same time that I was walking with Tommy in honor of our fallen heroes, Jo Ann Emerson had just voted against a pay increase for our troops, and her campaign was smearing Tommy's military record with false claims.
This same tactic was used last week when someone close to her campaign submitted a letter falsely attacking Tommy. Apparently, Jo Ann Emerson is now outsourcing the placement of bogus attacks about her opponent on to her supporters.
The trend of tactics being employed by the Emerson campaign is an attempt to distract voters from the issues and do not represent the values of Missouri's 8th District. Rather, they represent the very worst of politics and are precisely why the anti-incumbent sentiment is so strong this year.
BILL HARSHAW, 205 Albert Lane, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701