- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)16
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)25
The very worst of politics
As a veteran, I spent time over Memorial Day weekend alongside Tommy Sowers as he walked the 100-Mile Yard Sale listening to voters. At the same time that I was walking with Tommy in honor of our fallen heroes, Jo Ann Emerson had just voted against a pay increase for our troops, and her campaign was smearing Tommy's military record with false claims.
This same tactic was used last week when someone close to her campaign submitted a letter falsely attacking Tommy. Apparently, Jo Ann Emerson is now outsourcing the placement of bogus attacks about her opponent on to her supporters.
The trend of tactics being employed by the Emerson campaign is an attempt to distract voters from the issues and do not represent the values of Missouri's 8th District. Rather, they represent the very worst of politics and are precisely why the anti-incumbent sentiment is so strong this year.
BILL HARSHAW, 205 Albert Lane, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701