- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)22
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)10
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
The very worst of politics
As a veteran, I spent time over Memorial Day weekend alongside Tommy Sowers as he walked the 100-Mile Yard Sale listening to voters. At the same time that I was walking with Tommy in honor of our fallen heroes, Jo Ann Emerson had just voted against a pay increase for our troops, and her campaign was smearing Tommy's military record with false claims.
This same tactic was used last week when someone close to her campaign submitted a letter falsely attacking Tommy. Apparently, Jo Ann Emerson is now outsourcing the placement of bogus attacks about her opponent on to her supporters.
The trend of tactics being employed by the Emerson campaign is an attempt to distract voters from the issues and do not represent the values of Missouri's 8th District. Rather, they represent the very worst of politics and are precisely why the anti-incumbent sentiment is so strong this year.
BILL HARSHAW, 205 Albert Lane, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701