- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
The very worst of politics
As a veteran, I spent time over Memorial Day weekend alongside Tommy Sowers as he walked the 100-Mile Yard Sale listening to voters. At the same time that I was walking with Tommy in honor of our fallen heroes, Jo Ann Emerson had just voted against a pay increase for our troops, and her campaign was smearing Tommy's military record with false claims.
This same tactic was used last week when someone close to her campaign submitted a letter falsely attacking Tommy. Apparently, Jo Ann Emerson is now outsourcing the placement of bogus attacks about her opponent on to her supporters.
The trend of tactics being employed by the Emerson campaign is an attempt to distract voters from the issues and do not represent the values of Missouri's 8th District. Rather, they represent the very worst of politics and are precisely why the anti-incumbent sentiment is so strong this year.
BILL HARSHAW, 205 Albert Lane, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701