- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Out of the past 6/17/10
25 years ago: June 17, 1985
Charles and Doris McBride for Carbondale, Ill., have purchased acreage from the estate of the late Burton J. Gerhardt on the south side of Highway 74 and just east of South Kingshighway; they'll construct a building to house a Mack Truck sales and service facility.
The building at 118 N. Main St. has been purchased by Lee H. Park, who owns and operates Moo Sul Kwan Self-Defense Institute, 612 Broadway; the building is being remodeled and will be occupied by the institute.
50 years ago: June 17, 1960
A low bid of $662,700 for work on the Mississippi River in the Cape Girardeau area was received when offers were examined by the Corps of Engineers in St. Louis yesterday; the low bid was made by Patton-Tully Transportation Co. of Memphis, Tenn.; the work will be on a six-mile stretch in the vicinity of Neelys Landing and will consist of placing timber piling dikes and stone fill dikes as part of the general program of keeping the river navigable.
For his efforts in behalf of the Cape Girardeau Civic Center, Henry Ochs has received a citation and has been announced as a semifinalist in the Lane Bryant Annual Awards competition.
75 years ago: June 17, 1935
Bob Morse, professional golfer from St. Louis, has been in Cape Girardeau the past two weeks giving lessons at the Cape Girardeau Country Club and the Hillcrest course; he will go to Hayti and Kennett, Mo., this week.
A two-story brick building at 122 N. Main St., owned by Morris Shaltupsky and occupied by the Bootery, a shoe store managed by Shaltupsky, has been purchased by Mr. and Mrs. August Lang; a lease has been taken by the Bootery, and it will remain in its present location.
100 years ago: June 17, 1910
The Republican suspends publication for the day, as its publishers accompany the visiting editors on the excursion to Kennett, Mo.; the Frisco management provides a smooth train ride, and the newsmen feast on fish and corn bread at Kennett.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin Kerstner of Gordonville are in Cape Girardeau on business; Kerstner orders some bills from The Republican for a big Fourth of July picnic to be given at Siemers' Park in Gordonville.
-- Sharon K. Sanders