- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)15
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
U.N.: Israel dismantles some checkpoints
JERUSALEM -- A senior U.N. official said Israel has dismantled 20 percent of its West Bank checkpoints in the past year.
Philippe Lazzarini, head of the U.N. humanitarian affairs office in Jerusalem, said Israel has removed 121 checkpoints, but 505 checkpoints and dozens of road obstacles still hinder Palestinian travel.
Israel has said it has removed dozens of roadblocks.
Lazzarini said Wednesday that Israeli officials were also limiting Palestinian access to lands in the Jordan River valley and to farmlands cut off by Israel's separation barrier.