- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)2
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)47
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
Calvin E. Poinsett, 83, of Gordonville died Sunday, June 6, 2010, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born April 9, 1927, in Whitewater, son of Roby August and Alice Orene Birkman Poinsett. He and Vernell Propst were married July 14, 1973.
Calvin was a retired heavy equipment operator with Local 513 in St. Louis. He was a member of Evangelical United Church of Christ in Cape Girardeau and Whitewater Masonic Lodge 417.
Survivors include his wife; two sons, James "Jim" (Margaret) Poinsett of Chaffee, Mo., Michael (Vickie) Poinsett of Jackson; a brother, Dayton Poinsett of St. Charles, Mo.; a grandson, Jamie Poinsett of California; several nieces and nephews; great-nieces and nephews; and two great-great-nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters, Marilyn Poinsett and Joann Jones.
Visitation will be after 4 p.m. Thursday at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Chaffee. A masonic service will be held at 7.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the chapel, with the Rev. Eric Hodge officiating and assisted by Phil Wellin. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery at Jackson.
Pallbearers will be Jason Stroup, Clint Wellin, Ryan Steimle, Nick Steimle, Cameron Propst, Tim Birkman, Ed Gerler and Carson Stroup.