- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Harbor Freight Tools store coming to Cape (3/29/17)9
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Cape school board rejects proposal to allow parochial-school students to play sports (3/28/17)79
- Ragsdale to replace Farrow as principal at Franklin Elementary (3/29/17)5
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- Suspended Southeast student pleads guilty to firearm charge from fatal Carbondale shooting (3/28/17)1
- Wide array of candidates run for Cape school board (3/27/17)7
Calvin E. Poinsett, 83, of Gordonville died Sunday, June 6, 2010, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born April 9, 1927, in Whitewater, son of Roby August and Alice Orene Birkman Poinsett. He and Vernell Propst were married July 14, 1973.
Calvin was a retired heavy equipment operator with Local 513 in St. Louis. He was a member of Evangelical United Church of Christ in Cape Girardeau and Whitewater Masonic Lodge 417.
Survivors include his wife; two sons, James "Jim" (Margaret) Poinsett of Chaffee, Mo., Michael (Vickie) Poinsett of Jackson; a brother, Dayton Poinsett of St. Charles, Mo.; a grandson, Jamie Poinsett of California; several nieces and nephews; great-nieces and nephews; and two great-great-nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters, Marilyn Poinsett and Joann Jones.
Visitation will be after 4 p.m. Thursday at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Chaffee. A masonic service will be held at 7.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the chapel, with the Rev. Eric Hodge officiating and assisted by Phil Wellin. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery at Jackson.
Pallbearers will be Jason Stroup, Clint Wellin, Ryan Steimle, Nick Steimle, Cameron Propst, Tim Birkman, Ed Gerler and Carson Stroup.