- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)3
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Calvin E. Poinsett, 83, of Gordonville died Sunday, June 6, 2010, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born April 9, 1927, in Whitewater, son of Roby August and Alice Orene Birkman Poinsett. He and Vernell Propst were married July 14, 1973.
Calvin was a retired heavy equipment operator with Local 513 in St. Louis. He was a member of Evangelical United Church of Christ in Cape Girardeau and Whitewater Masonic Lodge 417.
Survivors include his wife; two sons, James "Jim" (Margaret) Poinsett of Chaffee, Mo., Michael (Vickie) Poinsett of Jackson; a brother, Dayton Poinsett of St. Charles, Mo.; a grandson, Jamie Poinsett of California; several nieces and nephews; great-nieces and nephews; and two great-great-nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters, Marilyn Poinsett and Joann Jones.
Visitation will be after 4 p.m. Thursday at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Chaffee. A masonic service will be held at 7.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the chapel, with the Rev. Eric Hodge officiating and assisted by Phil Wellin. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery at Jackson.
Pallbearers will be Jason Stroup, Clint Wellin, Ryan Steimle, Nick Steimle, Cameron Propst, Tim Birkman, Ed Gerler and Carson Stroup.