- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Authorities ID man who died in Bollinger County fire
SEDGEWICKVILLE, Mo. - A Poplar Bluff, Mo., man died in a house fire early Friday.
Bollinger County Coroner Charles Hutchings identified the man as Norman Ferguson, 32.
Around 3:48 a.m. crews responded to a report of a house fire off Route K, 3 miles north of Sedgewickville. Crews responding to the scene were from Biehle, Marble Hill, North Bollinger County and Sedgewickville.
Marble Hill Fire Chief Jim Bollinger said the fire was contained shortly before 5 a.m., but Ferguson was found dead in the rear of the log cabin-style home. Three other people managed to escape. Bollinger said all four people worked at a wood products mill during the week and returned to Poplar Bluff every weekend.
An autopsy on Ferguson reportedly was set for today in Farmington, Mo., the Daily American Republic newspaper reported.
Ferguson's cousin, Justin Hankers, and his uncle, Willie Stull, were able to get out of the cabin, as was the building's owner, Jack Stull, whose relationship to Ferguson was unknown at press time. One of the men reportedly tried to get back inside three times to save Ferguson.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The Daily American Republic newspaper in Poplar Bluff contributed to this report.