- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Folks in Southeast Missouri have always been compassionate and willing to help their family, friends and neighbors when special needs arise. With warm weather comes a surge in outdoor fundraising events, all with the aim of making life better for someone else.
Over the Memorial Day weekend, for example, among the many special events were the "Pullin' for St. Jude" truck and tractor pull in Cape Girardeau, which raised money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. Members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Missouri Riders, a motorcycle group, raised money for veterans' care by visiting all seven of Missouri's veterans homes. The U.S. Wounded Soldier Foundation Golf Tournament raised money for supplies to be sent to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany. And while the Teen Challenge International of Mid-America's annual strawberry festival isn't strictly a fundraiser, it brought considerable attention to the organization's efforts to rehabilitate drug and alcohol addicts and Teen Challenge's annual strawberry sales.
Anyone who is involved in organizing events like these knows how much work it takes to make them fun and successful at the same time. Most of these individuals go unnamed. So hats off to everyone who works so hard for such good causes.