- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)13
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)9
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
Jones bashes union members
With amusement, I read "The facts about Jay Purcell" by Gerald W. Jones. Jones, while always long on name-calling, cheap shots and gotchas, has truly shown his real self by coming out with bashing of union members and union council meetings. I am sure there are Democrats in Cape Girardeau County who are qualified to be county commissioners and certainly could run the county better than Jones has.
I have never understood the dog-and-pony show that Jones and Morley Swingle have had over the years. Jones has allowed Swingle to perform his private work while on county time. At the same time, Swingle has supported Jones on private deals benefiting landowners in reference to realignment of county roads and easements.
Swingle, describing Purcell as a "narcissistic demagogue," is very familiar with this phrase because it exists in his own family.
In closing, I was to so to Jones that I filled out an application for an advisory board at one time. Of course, I was not selected. The reason, I am sure, was that I was just a regular worker and a Democrat. Nevertheless, the fallout of a hypocrite in public office is always good reading and amusing.
FRANK MYERS, Cape Girardeau