- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Shirley Penrod Francis, 70, of Springfield died Friday, June 3, 2005, at Mercy-St. John's Regional Health System in Springfield.
She was born Jan. 28, 1935, daughter of Floyd and Emma Williams Vavak. She and Ivan E. Francis were married April 3, 1983, in Las Vegas, Nev.
Francis was a graduate of Central High School and Southeast Missouri State University. She received her master's degree from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. Francis was a teacher for 23 years, finishing her career in Jackson. She taught home economics at Jackson High School from 1964 to 1983, and moved to Springfield after her teaching career. She was a member of Second Baptist Church in Springfield.
Survivors include her husband; a daughter, Jeffrie A. Penrod of San Francisco, Calif.; two stepdaughters, Sue Green and husband Stan of Tulsa, Okla., and Vicki Laughlin and husband Craig of Plano, Texas; a brother, Johnny Vavak of Cape Girardeau; a sister, Wanda Bocum, also of Cape Girardeau; and four stepgrandchildren.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Chapel.
The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the chapel, with the Rev. Ed Meyer officiating. Burial will be in Bollinger County Memorial Park at Marble Hill, Mo.