- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Spirit of America
Great Americans are in our midst. That is the belief behind the Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America Award, which each year honors someone who represents the spirit of the country at its best.
The newspaper is accepting nominations for the third annual Spirit of America Award to be presented July 4 at Libertyfest in downtown Cape Girardeau.
Past recipients of the Spirit of America Award are John "Doc" Yallaly, nominated by the American Legion Auxiliary, and Dr. Dan Cotner, who was the nominee of the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau.
Nominations for the award and for the 250-word patriotic essays to appear in the newspaper's Spirit of America publication are being accepted until June 17. Nomination forms will appear in the newspaper. Look for one in Tuesday's paper.
The organization that nominates the winner of the award will receive $1,000 to be used toward its charitable activities.
Honoring our friends and neighbors whose lives are shining examples for all of us to imitate is a great way to celebrate our nation's birthday. Make sure your hero is nominated this year.