- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Spirit of America
Great Americans are in our midst. That is the belief behind the Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America Award, which each year honors someone who represents the spirit of the country at its best.
The newspaper is accepting nominations for the third annual Spirit of America Award to be presented July 4 at Libertyfest in downtown Cape Girardeau.
Past recipients of the Spirit of America Award are John "Doc" Yallaly, nominated by the American Legion Auxiliary, and Dr. Dan Cotner, who was the nominee of the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau.
Nominations for the award and for the 250-word patriotic essays to appear in the newspaper's Spirit of America publication are being accepted until June 17. Nomination forms will appear in the newspaper. Look for one in Tuesday's paper.
The organization that nominates the winner of the award will receive $1,000 to be used toward its charitable activities.
Honoring our friends and neighbors whose lives are shining examples for all of us to imitate is a great way to celebrate our nation's birthday. Make sure your hero is nominated this year.