- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)3
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Jackson School District giving away bricks from 'Old A' building (6/23/17)2
Spirit of America
Great Americans are in our midst. That is the belief behind the Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America Award, which each year honors someone who represents the spirit of the country at its best.
The newspaper is accepting nominations for the third annual Spirit of America Award to be presented July 4 at Libertyfest in downtown Cape Girardeau.
Past recipients of the Spirit of America Award are John "Doc" Yallaly, nominated by the American Legion Auxiliary, and Dr. Dan Cotner, who was the nominee of the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau.
Nominations for the award and for the 250-word patriotic essays to appear in the newspaper's Spirit of America publication are being accepted until June 17. Nomination forms will appear in the newspaper. Look for one in Tuesday's paper.
The organization that nominates the winner of the award will receive $1,000 to be used toward its charitable activities.
Honoring our friends and neighbors whose lives are shining examples for all of us to imitate is a great way to celebrate our nation's birthday. Make sure your hero is nominated this year.