- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
Spirit of America
Great Americans are in our midst. That is the belief behind the Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America Award, which each year honors someone who represents the spirit of the country at its best.
The newspaper is accepting nominations for the third annual Spirit of America Award to be presented July 4 at Libertyfest in downtown Cape Girardeau.
Past recipients of the Spirit of America Award are John "Doc" Yallaly, nominated by the American Legion Auxiliary, and Dr. Dan Cotner, who was the nominee of the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau.
Nominations for the award and for the 250-word patriotic essays to appear in the newspaper's Spirit of America publication are being accepted until June 17. Nomination forms will appear in the newspaper. Look for one in Tuesday's paper.
The organization that nominates the winner of the award will receive $1,000 to be used toward its charitable activities.
Honoring our friends and neighbors whose lives are shining examples for all of us to imitate is a great way to celebrate our nation's birthday. Make sure your hero is nominated this year.