- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
Spirit of America
Great Americans are in our midst. That is the belief behind the Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America Award, which each year honors someone who represents the spirit of the country at its best.
The newspaper is accepting nominations for the third annual Spirit of America Award to be presented July 4 at Libertyfest in downtown Cape Girardeau.
Past recipients of the Spirit of America Award are John "Doc" Yallaly, nominated by the American Legion Auxiliary, and Dr. Dan Cotner, who was the nominee of the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau.
Nominations for the award and for the 250-word patriotic essays to appear in the newspaper's Spirit of America publication are being accepted until June 17. Nomination forms will appear in the newspaper. Look for one in Tuesday's paper.
The organization that nominates the winner of the award will receive $1,000 to be used toward its charitable activities.
Honoring our friends and neighbors whose lives are shining examples for all of us to imitate is a great way to celebrate our nation's birthday. Make sure your hero is nominated this year.