- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Report: Iran releases filmmaker Jafar Panahi
TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran released an internationally renowned filmmaker and opposition supporter on bail Tuesday after more than two months in custody, state TV reported.
Jafar Panahi, who has won awards at the Chicago, Cannes and Berlin film festivals, was freed on bail of about $200,000, but the report said his indictment would be sent to a revolutionary court for future action.
The decision came about a week after the 49-year-old filmmaker began a hunger strike to protest his imprisonment. He also demanded to be allowed to see his family, meet with a lawyer and be set free pending trial.
It was unclear what charges Panahi faces. Cases referred to revolutionary courts are usually security-related.
Panahi was taken into custody after Iranian security forces raided the filmmaker's Tehran home in early March. A state prosecutor has said Panahi's detention is not political and the filmmaker is suspected of committing unspecified "offenses."
The filmmaker supported Iran's opposition following the disputed June presidential election in which Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was declared the winner. Panahi was briefly detained last summer when he visited the gravesides of the victims of Tehran's postelection unrest and was later banned from traveling abroad.
Iran has detained more than 80 political activists and figures accused of fomenting postelection unrest since August, sentencing them to death and prison terms, from six months to 15 years.
Tehran's prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dowlatabadi met Panahi in prison after he began his hunger strike.
Panahi had been asked to be on the jury of the Cannes Film Festival this year and his detention was frequently raised during speeches by directors and actors. Several of his films have been banned from showing in Iran.
Ahmadinejad's re-election has been challenged by a range of public figures, including filmmakers and singers who have expressed support for the opposition and criticized the harsh government crackdown on street protesters.
The opposition contends Ahmadinejad won through fraud and that opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi was the rightful winner.