- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Good memories of stay in Cape
On May 2 I was in Cape Girardeau to refuel my vehicle on the way home to Illinois. I experienced brake failure and spent the night in Cape Girardeau, becoming acquainted with what a pleasant town Cape Girardeau is and encountering friendly, helpful people.
Service station attendants were prompt in getting my vehicle towed to a repair shop. The tow-truck driver took me to a motel, where I rested for a while and then went for a walk.
I have arthritis in both knees, and walking for any considerable distance causes pain. A young man and woman in a car saw that I was walking painfully and stopped to give me a ride. There were members of Bethany Assembly of God. I learned right away that they were true-hearted Christians. They made every effort to be helpful in every way possible. My encounter with them will always be a distinct memory of Cape Girardeau.
The good memory of a nice town with friendly people will always overshadow the bad memory of the vehicle malfunction. My stay in Cape Girardeau will always be fondly remembered.
FRANK B. AUSTIN, O'Fallon, Ill.