- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Out of the past 5/21/10
25 years ago: May 21, 1985
The Cape Girardeau County Commission has purchased the Jackson Coca-Cola offices and production plant on Barton Street in downtown Jackson, directly east of the courthouse; it will be renovated for a new county administrative office building.
CHAFFEE, MO. -- A group of Chaffee residents, concerned about the odor emanating from the Estech Chemical Corp. plant on North Frisco Street, has appealed to the Chaffee City Council for help; the company produces and distributes fertilizer products.
50 years ago: May 21, 1960
In an effort to reduce the number of complaints of children shooting BB guns in Cape Girardeau, and the resulting property damage, Police Commissioner J.L. Wieser has issued an order that police officers investigating such reports should confiscate the guns; parents will be allowed to collect them from police headquarters.
CHARLESTON, Mo. -- W.B. Ragsdale, merchant and civic leader of Charleston, dies unexpectedly at his home here; Ragsdale provided the impetus through which the Buckner-Ragsdale stores were established in Charleston, Sikeston, Mo., and Cape Girardeau.
75 years ago: May 21, 1935
Representatives of the federal government are here making plans for selecting a site for a new Civilian Conservation Corps camp near Allenville; similar camps will also be established near New Madrid, Mo., and Hayti, Mo.; a soil erosion camp will be at Perryville, Mo.
Arthur and G.E. Vogel of the Bauer Baking Co. have appealed to the Cape Girardeau City Council for protection against peddlers of products by motor trucks from outside the city; the two ask the council to collect license fees from such peddlers.
100 years ago: May 21, 1910
F.W. Morrison of the Morrison Ice and Fuel Co. has gone to St. Louis with a gasoline launch to transport to Cape Girardeau another barge to be used in his sand business.
The Roth Tobacco Co. continues to expand and now employs 50 hands in the making of its tobacco products; Monday, the construction of an addition to the factory will be started; it will be 30 feet wide and 90 feet long, built at the side of the factory, and will be used as a warehouse.
-- Sharon K. Sanders