- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
A most cherished day at 99 years
To the editor:
Recently I received the biggest and most precious blessing of my life. I reached the age of 99 years filled with love from my family, Christian rearing and a clean, wholesome life for which I shall be forever grateful.
I am thankful to the many friends who, on May 15, gave me such a completely memorable day and for their love, kindness and generosity.
I especially want to thank Shirley Young, who gave me the beautiful party and who spent many hours and days in preparation. Also, a big thanks goes to Lisa Limbaugh and Brenda Moyers, who assisted Shirley in many ways.
The gracious reporter from the Southeast Missourian who interviewed me at the party must know how the beautifully written article struck the eye of many and was greatly appreciated and enjoyed by me.
I feel so grateful for the many beautiful awards, especially one from state Rep. Nathan Cooper. I just want to live up to the faith shown in me.
My party was made complete from beginning to end with the arrival of my dear nephew, Dr. Walter Kempe, from Tulsa, Okla.
A thousand words could never express the feeling of thankfulness, love and appreciation that goes to all who made my 99th birthday the most cherished, tender and memorable of all my years.
PAULA E. KEMPE, Cape Girardeau