- Fake UFC event listing stirs the pot at local Golden Corral (2/10/18)3
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Area restaurants plan for those observing Lent on Valentine's Day (2/12/18)
- Business Notebook: Marco Construction Products offers high-end contractor equipment with personalized service (2/12/18)
A most cherished day at 99 years
To the editor:
Recently I received the biggest and most precious blessing of my life. I reached the age of 99 years filled with love from my family, Christian rearing and a clean, wholesome life for which I shall be forever grateful.
I am thankful to the many friends who, on May 15, gave me such a completely memorable day and for their love, kindness and generosity.
I especially want to thank Shirley Young, who gave me the beautiful party and who spent many hours and days in preparation. Also, a big thanks goes to Lisa Limbaugh and Brenda Moyers, who assisted Shirley in many ways.
The gracious reporter from the Southeast Missourian who interviewed me at the party must know how the beautifully written article struck the eye of many and was greatly appreciated and enjoyed by me.
I feel so grateful for the many beautiful awards, especially one from state Rep. Nathan Cooper. I just want to live up to the faith shown in me.
My party was made complete from beginning to end with the arrival of my dear nephew, Dr. Walter Kempe, from Tulsa, Okla.
A thousand words could never express the feeling of thankfulness, love and appreciation that goes to all who made my 99th birthday the most cherished, tender and memorable of all my years.
PAULA E. KEMPE, Cape Girardeau