- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
St. Vincent golf team places 4th in Class 1 tourney
Notre Dame settles for sixth in the Class 3 tournament
St. Vincent golfers moved up two spots in the second round of the Class 1 golf tournament Tuesday to place fourth in the team standings.
The Indians, led by an 81 by Dustin Yamnitz, bettered their first-day total by 14 strokes and posted a two-day 340 at Rivercut Golf Course in Springfield, Mo.
Yamnitz tied for 21st place with a two-day total of 169 to lead the Indians. Ben Schremp (t-25, 81-91) finished at 172 and was followed by Brett Wengert (t-34, 95-84--179), Brandon Trapp (t-36, 93-87--180) and Sean Martin (t-36, 92-88--180).
Saxony Lutheran, which finished second in its district but qualified four individuals to qualify for the team standings, placed 10th with a 790 total.
The Crusaders' score was recorded by Zach Vaeth (t-66, 97-94--191), Collin Sprandel (t-77, 107-89--196), Garrett Brewer (t-77, 100-96--196) and Adam Boehme (t-100, 105-102--107).
Sacred Heart won a tight battle with Marceline to claim the Class 1 title with a 663 total. Sacred Heart trailed Marceline by one stroke after the first day, but bettered the Tigers by two shots Tuesday.
Derek Hawkins of Tarkio won the individual title with a 10-over-par 154.
Notre Dame held its sixth-place position in the Class 3 tournament at Island Green Golf Club in Republic, Mo.
The Bulldogs shot 325 on Tuesday, eight strokes higher than the opening round and finished at 642. Westminster Christian Academy took a 17-shot lead into the second round and extended it to 26 with a winning score of 599.
Notre Dame's Kurt Heischmidt shot a 5-over-par 77 in the second round -- two shots better than Monday -- and finished one stroke shy of all-state status that went to the top 15 and ties. Heischmidt's 156 total tied for 18th.
The Bulldogs' team score was rounded out by Gunnar Knudtson (t-34, 77-83--160), Tyler Arpin (t-44, 84-78--162) and Jacob Seabaugh (t-56, 77-87--164).
Kevin VandeKamp and Kevin Bell, both of Westminster Christian, tied for individual medalist with 1-over-par 145s.
Dexter, one of four teams tied for second after the first day, placed third at 634.
In Class 4, Jackson's Tanner Werner led the area's three individual qualifiers with a 152 total. Werner shot his second straight 6-over-par 76 on Tuesday, finishing tied for 17th, nine strokes behind medalist Ryan Buerck of Blue Springs. Werner finished one stroke short of all-state, a distinction he earned two years ago as a freshman when he tied for second.
Central's Corey Connell shot 79 in the second round, beating his first-day score by four strokes to finish with a 162 total and tied for 66th.
Jackson's Drew Hosp followed his opening 81 with an 83 for a 164 total that tied for 83rd.
Poplar Bluff's Trenton Hillis (72-74--146) tied for third to help the Mules to a fourth-place team finish. First-day leader Rockhurst posted a four-shot victory over runner-up Rock Bridge.