- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Giants extend Alou's contract through 2006
The San Francisco Giants extended Felipe Alou's contract through the 2006 season Wednesday, ending any speculation about whether the manager would return for a fourth season.
The 70-year-old Alou and the Giants have a mutual option for 2007. Alou, who took over the team from Dusty Baker after the 2002 season, is one of only three managers in franchise history to win at least 90 games in his first two years.
San Francisco has struggled at the start this year with slugger Barry Bonds sidelined all season by a knee injury.
"Usually it doesn't happen in a losing situation, but I appreciate the fact they have confidence in me," Alou said.
Alou led the Giants to the NL West title in 2003.
Cubs call up pitcher
The Chicago Cubs recalled left-hander John Koronka from Class AAA Iowa to start against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday night in his major league debut.
The Cubs optioned right-hander Jon Leicester to Iowa.
Koronka is replacing Mark Prior in the Cubs' rotation. Prior sustained a compression fracture near his right elbow when he was hit by a line drive last Friday and is sidelined indefinitely.
KC keep Yanks reeling
The Kansas City Royals beat Randy Johnson for the first time in 12 years, handing the New York Yankees their fourth straight loss with a 3-1 victory Wednesday night.