- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)5
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
You can't spend what you don't have
To the editor:
In response to the "Responsible for cuts'" Speak Out contributor: I am perfectly willing to take the responsibility for cuts to Medicaid. I am glad we finally have a governor who realizes that Missouri can't continue to spend money it doesn't have. I'm proud to say I voted for Matt Blunt, and I'll gladly vote for him again when he comes up for re-election, not because I'm happy that Medicaid recipients are having their benefits cut, but because I realize that we have to get our spending under control.
Sometimes it hurts when you have to follow a budget at home too, but when the checking account gets empty, you can't write any more checks. Missouri has to operate under the very same philosophy.
People who are angry about the Medicaid cuts are likely the same people who are perfectly happy to see taxes raised on the rich. Those people, in many cases, don't pay any income taxes at all or are recipients of the income-tax credit, which has to be paid for by someone else, and it's not just the rich that pay for social programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, and the Income Tax Credit. It's any citizen who pay taxes. I certainly don't fall into the rich category, yet I still have to pay taxes every April.
JANE GAFFIGAN, Cape Girardeau