- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
You can't spend what you don't have
To the editor:
In response to the "Responsible for cuts'" Speak Out contributor: I am perfectly willing to take the responsibility for cuts to Medicaid. I am glad we finally have a governor who realizes that Missouri can't continue to spend money it doesn't have. I'm proud to say I voted for Matt Blunt, and I'll gladly vote for him again when he comes up for re-election, not because I'm happy that Medicaid recipients are having their benefits cut, but because I realize that we have to get our spending under control.
Sometimes it hurts when you have to follow a budget at home too, but when the checking account gets empty, you can't write any more checks. Missouri has to operate under the very same philosophy.
People who are angry about the Medicaid cuts are likely the same people who are perfectly happy to see taxes raised on the rich. Those people, in many cases, don't pay any income taxes at all or are recipients of the income-tax credit, which has to be paid for by someone else, and it's not just the rich that pay for social programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, and the Income Tax Credit. It's any citizen who pay taxes. I certainly don't fall into the rich category, yet I still have to pay taxes every April.
JANE GAFFIGAN, Cape Girardeau