- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Lathrop approves 4-day school week
LATHROP, Mo. (AP) -- Students in Lathrop will attend school four days a week beginning next school year.
The district's Board of Education voted Monday to hold school Tuesday through Friday, with 45 minutes added to each day.
The St. Joseph News-Press reports that district officials estimate the change would save $120,000 a year.
Before the vote, opponents said the shortened week would leave students home alone and hurt the quality of education.
One parent told the board that there would be a petition drive to seek a state audit of the district.
Information from: St. Joseph News-Press, http://www.stjoenews-press.com