Out of the past 5/11/10

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

25 years ago: May 11, 1985

Gov. John Ashcroft is the commencement speaker at Southeast Missouri State University's graduation ceremonies at Houck Stadium; the threat of rain, and a brief shower at the beginning of his speech, almost puts a halt to the proceedings, but at the urging of the audience, Ashcroft continues.

Southeast Missouri State University officials have received word from Missouri Commissioner of Education Arthur L. Mallory that the Migrant Center, located on the university campus since 1968, will be relocated further south in the Bootheel.

50 years ago: May 11, 1960

Stephen Limbaugh, Bertie Cleino and the Rev. Owen Whitfield have been elected to the board of directors of the Cape Civic Center Inc.

Jerry Ford, a senior at Central High School and son of Mayor and Mrs. W.H. Ford, was presented the Shivelbine Award at the annual spring concert of the Central High School Band; the award is given yearly to the outstanding instrumental member.

75 years ago: May 11, 1935

The Rouse Construction Co. of Cape Girardeau and the E.O. Korsmo Construction Co. of Memphis, Tenn., are awarded a contract by the War Department to construct iron culverts in the Melville, La., ring levee, New Orleans District 2; the companies will construct drain outlets through the levee at Melville, permitting water from inside of the levee at the Louisiana town to drain into the Atchafalaya River.

Bobby Wilhite of Franklin School, Lewis Carlyle of Broadway and Fred Foeste of Central win first, second and third places respectively in the Cape Girardeau School District marble tournament finals among 11 contests from the five public schools.

100 years ago: May 11, 1910

A steel launch, 40 feet long and a fine vessel, passes down the Mississippi River in the morning going to Wolf Island, Mo., for Robert Lee; the craft was made at Grafton, Ill.

Arthur and Albert Kempe have organized a new fire insurance company under the title of Kempe Bros., with office at the Farmers and Merchants Bank on Good Hope Street; they bought out the Brennecke agency.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: