- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Dexter parents charged in death of 5-month-old son
DEXTER, Mo. -- A Dexter couple face murder and child abuse charges in the death of their 5-month-old son, Stoddard County Major Case Squad officials said Saturday.
Ben Handy, 23, is charged with second-degree murder, abuse of a child resulting in death, endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of armed criminal action. Dara Vaughn, 22, is charged with child abuse resulting in death, endangering the welfare of a child and armed criminal action. Both were being held Saturday in the Stoddard County Jail. The charges stem from an investigation that began when Dexter police responded to 1026 Woodland Drive in Dexter at 4:48 a.m. Wednesday. The boy was transported to a local hospital and then flown to St. Louis Children's Hospital, where he died. The Stoddard County Major Case Squad was activated after an autopsy was performed, officials said.