- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)3
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
8 new volunteers join CASA program
Judge Peter Statler swore in 8 new volunteers for CASA, Court Appointed Special Advocates for children. They join the CASA programs current 32 volunteers, bringing the total to 40 volunteers for the Cape Girardeau, Bollinger, and Perry counties. CASA volunteers are officers of the 32nd Judicial Court in Cape Girardeau, Bollinger, and Perry Counties.
The new volunteers took an oath to do their best to protect and defend the rights of the children they will represent. These volunteers have completed 30 hours of special training, which is required in order to become a CASA volunteer in the court system. The mission for CASA of Southeast Missouri is to provide well-trained court appointed volunteers to serve as advocates for abused and neglected children under jurisdiction of the 32nd Judicial Circuit Juvenile Court. Through the four key aspects of CASA advocacy: Investigation, Mediation, Reporting and Monitoring the CASA volunteer ensures that the children's immediate and long-term needs are being met while in foster care and work to secure a healthy permanent placement for these children. For more information on becoming an advocate for abused and neglected children, please call 335-1726 or visit their website at www.capecasa.com.