- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
8 new volunteers join CASA program
Judge Peter Statler swore in 8 new volunteers for CASA, Court Appointed Special Advocates for children. They join the CASA programs current 32 volunteers, bringing the total to 40 volunteers for the Cape Girardeau, Bollinger, and Perry counties. CASA volunteers are officers of the 32nd Judicial Court in Cape Girardeau, Bollinger, and Perry Counties.
The new volunteers took an oath to do their best to protect and defend the rights of the children they will represent. These volunteers have completed 30 hours of special training, which is required in order to become a CASA volunteer in the court system. The mission for CASA of Southeast Missouri is to provide well-trained court appointed volunteers to serve as advocates for abused and neglected children under jurisdiction of the 32nd Judicial Circuit Juvenile Court. Through the four key aspects of CASA advocacy: Investigation, Mediation, Reporting and Monitoring the CASA volunteer ensures that the children's immediate and long-term needs are being met while in foster care and work to secure a healthy permanent placement for these children. For more information on becoming an advocate for abused and neglected children, please call 335-1726 or visit their website at www.capecasa.com.