- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Cape school foundation presents $6,000 in grants for new programs
Seven people in the Cape Girardeau School District received $6,097 in funding to implement new programs at their schools. The Cape Girardeau Public Schools Foundation awarded six grants to educators during surprise visits to their classroom Thursday.
* Julia Jorgensen, the librarian at Central High School, received a $2,991 grant to implement a program with author and illustrator Charles R. Smith Jr. Writing and photography students will work together on projects to present to Smith.
* Joanie Heuring and Yvonne Campbell at Jefferson Elementary received $862 to work with students to use props to re-enact stories.
* Pat Johnson at Central High School will use an $842 grant to use infant simulators to educate students about the consequences of shaking babies and young children.
* Mary Richards at the Alternative Education Center received $800 to introduce at-risk students to an outdoor education center. Students will complete activities that challenge and build self-esteem.
* Emily Goode at Central Junior High School received a $402 grant to institute an after-school math club.
* Amber Prasanphanich at the Alternative Education Center received $200 to create child care station to teach students how to care for infants.
301 N. Clark Ave., Cape Girardeau, MO