Out of the past 5/7/10
Friday, May 7, 2010
25 years ago: May 7, 1985
Jackson Mayor Carlton "Cotton" Meyer cast the tie-breaking vote at last night's board of aldermen meeting in favor of issuing a special use permit for a day care center sponsored by the First Assembly of God Church on Highway 72 West; the center is to be in the church parsonage.
The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity at Southeast Missouri State University is working with the Cape Girardeau Police Department to build an obstacle course for officers at Shawnee Park.
50 years ago: May 7, 1960
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Residents of Perryville are observing "Bockwurst Days," an event that doesn't pack a lot of fanfare but surrounds the fine old German way of making "beer sausage"; most everyone here is eating bockwurst today, and many former residents are coming considerable distances to pick up orders of the product they placed months ago.
The Federal Aviation Agency's elaborately equipped flight service station, a facility providing flight data and 24-hour service year-round to pilots in a six-state area, will be formally opened at the Cape Girardeau Municipal Airport about June 1; the staff now operating the station at Farmington, Mo., will be here by that time to man the electronic equipment in the new airport terminal building.
75 years ago: May 7, 1935
George M. Munger of Bloomfield, Mo., is elected president of the board of regents of State Teachers College; Munger, a Democrat, succeeds W.C. Bahn, a Republican, of Cape Girardeau, whose term expired.
R.C.E. Landgraf has been awarded a contract to build a two-story frame dwelling in Oliver Heights for Dr. and Mrs. Glenn J. Tygett.
100 years ago: May 7, 1910
The long-disputed strip of land at the northeast corner of Courthouse Park, on which a brick stable stood for many years, has been awarded to the city of Cape Girardeau by a decision of the circuit court in Jackson; the property had been owned by Dr. M.A. Grissom.
Harry Anderson, formerly of the Houck railroad, but now of Centralia, Ill., is in Cape Girardeau packing his household goods to move them to Centralia.
-- Sharon K. Sanders