- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape Girardeau police arrest woman following report of street fighting
A Cape Girardeau woman was arrested Wednesday following two late night incidents of reported street fights, with as many as 200 people gathered in the area at one time.
According to Sgt. Dennis Horn of the Cape Girardeau Police Department, officers arrived at the corner of Hanover and Bloomfield streets around 8:30 p.m. after receiving a report of fighting.
Officers arrived to find 21-year-old Shanelle D. Johnson, 21, of 1006 Jefferson Ave., in the street yelling and refusing to leave the area.
At that time, she was arrested on a noise violation charge.
Sgt. Jason Selzer, a spokesman for the department, said she was issued a summons at the station and later released.
An hour later while officers were still on the scene they heard shouting in the 300 block of Benton Street, one block away. The Missouri State Highway Patrol and Cape Girardeau County Sheriff's Department were called to assist, though Horn said officers didn't observe fighting in that incident either.
"We did not arrest anyone else because we had no victim come forward to say they were assaulted in a fight," Selzer said. "Once more officers started arriving the crowds started to disperse."
No one was hurt in either incident.
Hanover Street and Bloomfield Street, Cape Girardeau, MO
300 Benton Street, Cape Girardeau, MO